CPT SCHOOL PROGRAMS
Changing Perceptions Theater (CPT) champions Common Core standards and utilizes its own Culturally Responsive Curriculum to promote Literacy Skills and concepts, inspire Social and Emotional Learning, and develop Leadership Competencies required for College and Career Readiness.
Over the past seven years Changing Perceptions has done amazing work for youth in schools and community organizations throughout NYC and Newark, NJ. Focusing on what we call "the confidence arts," our dynamic CPT Artistic Mentors empower young people's perceptions of themselves through Theater, Public Speaking, Video Arts and Essay Writing.
Students always present an End Product to their Families, peers and school environment at the end of CPT residencies. For more information on how to partner with CPT, simply submit the form below and we will get back to you within the next business day.
- Through fun and interactive playwriting and improvisation exercises, CPT Artistic Mentors show participants how to create and perform 5-minute skits that interpret themes from literature, historical quotes, visual art, or school mantras. Participants' culminating event is a performance for peers, parents and teachers. Following performance, participants talk with the audience about themes and process to create the show. Participants are required to correctly follow directions, coordinate preparation with teammates, and successfully complete tasks within specific time frames. In discussing skits, Artistic Mentors and audiences create an empathetic environment to praise students as well as have cause-related dialogue around issues expressed in the participants’ performances.
- S.K.I.T.S. (Self-confidence Kindled In Theater Skits)workshops can range in time from 30 minutes through 2 hours and are offered as a series. Ideal for elementary, middle school and high school grade levels.
PRODUCE A PLAY
- CPT Artistic Mentors are all experienced instructors, trained mentors, men and women of color, and professional, practicing theater artists. Over the course of a school semester, trimester or school year, CPT artistic mentors work one-on-one with a group of students to present a professional level theatrical production for their families, peers, and teachers. Whether an original one-act play from CPT's repertoire or an established full length musical, students are exposed to playwriting, performance, stage combat, stage design and marketing skills needed to produce a show. Producing a show with a group of students provides lifelong memories for students and their families and inspires a wealth of Social and Emotional Learning, Leadership Development and College and Career Readiness.
- Producing a show with CPT's Artistic Mentors is a great experience for elementary, middle school and high school students. Ask us how CPT can customize our Produce A Show program for your young people or school environment.
CPT INTERACTIVE IN-SCHOOL ASSEMBLIES
CPT's various in-school assemblies are entertaining and thought-provoking for ALL grade levels. CPT Executive Director Shaun Neblett has developed a fun, communal and interactive assembly format in which:
- a student-body watches a play performed by 3 professional CPT actors.
- the play pauses for students to reason and contribute to the play's characters, conflict and resolution.
- selected students act alongside CPT Artistic Mentors.
- students discuss themes in the play with CPT's Artistic Mentors and their teachers.
CPT In-School Assemblies are customized to be the perfect experience for school environments. CPT's Assemblies teach as well as entertain students. CPT Assemblies inspire dialogue amongst students on topics such as:
- School Mantras
- Vices vs Virtues
- The Allure of Drugs, Gangs or Street Culture
- Leaders vs Followers
- Victim Mentality vs Leadership Mentality
- Going to College